9 Sept 2012

Kitchen Studio

When you're no longer working in a studio you have to find alternatives, when you own bedroom is too small to even have patternpaper laying on the floor. So I transformed my parents kitchen island into a workspace. One of my dear friends Julie asked my kindly if I could make her a gala dress, some might call it prom, but since it's for a college due and the way Julie described the event, I think the more appropriate word is "gala". Anyway people keep telling me that I've got all this time, and I'm doing nothing with my life, so I might as keep busy these last few weeks, before I move back to England. 

Julie had a very clear vision for her dress, which makes my job easy. She wanted something elegant, with a deep draped back, reasonably high neckline at the front and floor length. We've been discussing material quite a lot, but once again Julie had quite a clear vision, nothing shiny or something that screams cliché gala dress materials (silk, satin, taffeta etc.), so we've ended up with a luxurious Viscose Jersey in black. 

So far the biggest challenge making this dress has been creating the pattern, as I haven't been able to locate any basic blocks here in Denmark or anywhere online that looks trustworthy. 
So I brought a basic maxi dress block from Stof & Stil (a Danish fabric store), and altered it from there, which turned out to be a trickier than expected. 

Hopefully I'll be able to show you the final result soon!

/Hannah



No comments:

Post a Comment